Living an eco-friendly lifestyle may seem very expensive, tedious and time-consuming to everyone. But this is not always true. We at Funkoos bring you easy and simple ways to adapt to a greener lifestyle. Read on:
Eco-Friendly Gifts: 5 Instant Options
Thinking of buying a gift for someone? Now that you have already decided to buy a gift, why not buy something which would contribute to the benefit of the environment? Wondering how tedious this could be? On the contrary, such gifts are easy to find and certainly make for better presents to impress someone. Here are the top five ideas easily accessible and cost effective eco-friendly gifts:
Flowers are always handy as a gift for any occasion. Although, make sure to select the right flowers for the right event and for the right person/people. Apart from adding beauty to the surrounding and spreading its freshness through its fragrance, flowers definitely do the trick with loved ones. Additionally, they are not expensive and easy to find.
Organic Clothes are the in-thing for the right reasons. Be it a dress for your daughter’s birthday or a gift for your friend’s newborn kid, buy natural! Organic clothing is beneficial in all aspects compared to the clothes made from regular fabrics. Made from organic cotton, these fabrics are completely free from pesticides making it environment-friendly and long lasting. More so, the fabrics produced from the conventional methods tend to make an individual prone to allergies and infections. So, when it comes to a newborn child, you would obviously want to gift something as tender as they are.
Ornamental Plants which are meant for decorative purposes are a good option. Contribute to adding a touch of green to the environment, giving a personal touch. You can also give a personal touch by growing your own plants such as a money plant or sprouting gram seeds which would definitely grab eyeballs. In today’s times of artificial plants which are easy to maintain, natural ornamental plants would bring about the freshness to the surroundings making it more appealing. Handmade Products make for good presents. Be it a handmade bag, a photo frame, a jewellery box, stationary and so on, they are attractive and are not harmful to
Handmade Products make for good presents. Be it a handmade bag, a photo frame, a jewellery box, stationary and so on, they are attractive and are not harmful to Handmade Products make for good presents. Be it a handmade bag, a photo frame, a jewellery box, stationary and so on, they are attractive and are not harmful to nature. You can gift a handicraft item which would remind of you while it’s hung up on the wall in the living room. Handmade products cater to many uses and offer a wide range to choose from. So, pick the best one!
Last but not the least; Make Your Own Present. Nothing can beat something that has been made by your own hands. Show that you care for your loved ones by making something special that could be cherished for the rest of their lives. You don’t necessary have to be skilled to create something unique. Here are a few ideas – o You can make a collage from old pictures bringing back some of the best moments that you have had with your loved ones. o Draw a painting or make a card that truly brings out what you feel. o You can collect your old and waste item and prepare a nice fancy piece which could be used as a showcase. o Present a nice tee that you have painted with eco-friendly colours. All you have to do is buy a plain tee and paint an attractive design and gift it to that special someone.
The tips do not end here. There is a wide range of options available; all you have to do is search the one that best fits your bill.
Eco – friendly gifts ensure that you do your bit for the environment, be it consciously or unconsciously. Plus, they definitely add style and panache giving an edge above the rest. So, pick your choice today!
How to Let Your Child Go Green Effortlessly?
The family is the first institution where a child learns his basic lessons for life. How a child is raised has a great impact on his personality and his responses to his surroundings. Being eco – friendly is one of the key issues that have to be inculcated in a child right from the beginning for an effective upbringing. Here’s how you can do so for your child:
- Fuel Consumption: Being a non–renewable source of energy, it is important to conserve fuel. It is essential to make your child understand the right use and consumption of energy. For this purpose, you can walk your child to the school or allow him to ride a bicycle or even engage in carpooling. These measures would serve the purpose and at the same time, cut on the fuel used.
- Organic Resources for School: These could include school bags made of cloth in which kids can carry their books and notebooks. All their school supplies should be organic products in nature such as notebooks made of recycled paper and so on. Their school clothing could include clothes that have been prepared organically.
- Water and Electricity Conservation: Inculcate the habits of switching off lights, fans and other electronic devices while leaving a room. This would bring about a positive change making the child understand the importance of energy. Similarly, the child should be taught not to leave the taps and the shower open every time they walk out of the washrooms. Water is an important natural resource without which the survival of the mankind is next to impossible.
- Indulging in Eco – Friendly Activities: Your child can take part in activities that are environment-friendly in nature. These include gardening where in the child can plant trees, keeping the surroundings clean by throwing the litter in the dustbin, controlling the waste and recycling the old items again and so on.
- Exercise is a Must: Many children are glued to the computers or the television sets playing games or watching cartoons. It is important to go out and play for the child which would ensure physical fitness. More so, the heart would pump more blood which means more oxygen and at the same time, electricity would also be conserved.
Thus, it is important is bring about these changes in the critical years when the child is still in the process of learning and adapting to his environment. This way, it would be effortless for the child to “Go Green” at a later stage.
How Eco – Friendly Are You?
Are you sure you live in an eco – friendly environment? Think Again! Sometimes, what it seems to be might not be the actual scenario. Having a clean environment might also turn out to be clean superficially. Deep down, germs might be brewing with the help of chemicals being released from toxic substances that are being used in your home. Here’s how you can check:
- Are you conserving electricity? Switching off lights is not enough to conserve electricity. Are you using power saving electrical devices? How about the efficient use of solar energy? If not, it’s time that you do so. You can replace all your electrical devices with the low wattage light bulbs. They can be fixed very easily and some are brighter than the usual lighting devices. Solar energy could be aptly used in the form of solar panels etc.
- Is there enough greenery around you? Check again! You might be living in the middle of garbage and other mishmash permitting you to breathe in all the toxins around you. You can grow some plants which are easy to maintain such as the money plants or you can have a lawn in the front yard of your house. Either way, you would have more oxygen pouring into your house.
- How effectively do you manage your waste? Keep a check on all the materials you buy, especially those which are not biodegradable and are of hazardous in nature. Try and buy such items which could be recycled or are organic in nature. More so, keep your surroundings clean. You would not want your children to be raised in an atmosphere that is unhygienic and would pose a threat to their health.
- Do you use plastics? If yes, try and reduce the usage. Plastics are a non–renewable substance and contain monomers which are known to be carcinogenic in nature. Thus, they pose a major threat to the health of the individual using it. And since they do not degrade easily, they pose major environmental issues of concern.
- What kind of disinfectants do you use? Your home could turn out be a much safer place based on the kind of disinfectants that you use. Many disinfectants available in the market are high on the chemicals which could affect humans. A healthy alternative to this are the eco-friendly disinfectants some of which could be prepared at home as well. They are highly cost effective and the key to happy and safe living.
These are some of the simple measures which do not require much to be done, yet would bring about a major difference in your life. So, start checking whether you are actually implementing these measures. If not, then it’s time that you do so!
Get Green This Earth Day!
We all know that the concept of Earth Day is meant to inspire us to take care of our surroundings. Many are left clueless when it is said that each and every individual can make a difference. Wondering how to go about it? There are simple initiatives which could be adopted to bring about that major change. As we all know that it is the D-day, here’s a kaleidoscope of what we can do to promote the cause:
- A small endeavor like planting a tree in your backyard could make a big difference. Each of the family members could sow the seeds and nurture a plant. These could be rooted at the corners of your house.Use recycled stationary from now on. This includes notepads, pens and pencils which have been recycled again. You can recycle your own paper and distribute it on the occasion.
- Use recycled stationary from now on. This includes notepads, pens and pencils which have been recycled again. You can recycle your own paper and distribute it on the occasion.If you are running your own business, this occasion is
- If you are running your own business, this occasion is perfect to promote your business. You can order for merchandise specifically made from eco – friendly material or recycled objects. These could include recycled polythene bags or biodegradable balloons and stickers with your company logo imprinted. Items like balloons and stickers would be an instant hit amongst the children.
- Save fuel via the system of the car pool. Fuel is an important and a highly efficient source of energy without which it would be difficult to survive for the humans. Being a non–renewable source of energy, Earth Day is apt for bringing out the concern. More so, you can work from home for one day which would save a lot of energy.
- The donation is the best biggest form of recycling which does not involve any form of monetary aspect. You can start with donating your child’s old clothes and probably get clothes that are organic in nature. In fact here’s one program from Funkoos Organic Baby Clothes which helps you recycle and save. All you need to do is email or fax your receipt of donated clothes and Funkoos.com gives you 25% off your purchase of Organic Baby Clothes from this online store.
Above all, the word of mouth is the best form of advertising the cause. So, tell as many people as possible. So, Get Set and Go Green in style this Earth Day!
Green is the Way for Baby Showers!
Your bundle of joy has finally arrived in the world. It’s time to celebrate! And so, you must throw a baby shower. But the celebration does not mean using irritants which could affect your newborn. Gone are the days of conventional modes of living and celebrating. Today, green is the way!
Green baby showers are the trend of the time with more and more people adopting this concept. Going green and protecting yourself and your baby is the best initiative that you can take in your lifetime. Plus, a green baby shower can give you that edge over the others. Here’s how you can make your baby shower environmental friendly:
- You can Use Handmade or Recycled Paper for your invitations. Use natural products or waste materials to decorate your invitation cards. An alternative to this can be sending email invitation cards which are also quicker and all you have to do is click it away!Inform all the guests in prior to present gifts that are Green in Nature. The wrappers should also be eco-friendly. The gifts could include recycled or second-hand items such used clothes such as Organic Baby Onesies Baby Sleepwear Baby
- Inform all the guests in prior to present gifts that are Green in Nature. The wrappers should also be eco-friendly. The gifts could include recycled or second-hand items such used clothes such as Organic Baby Onesies Baby Sleepwear Baby T-Shirts which are organic in nature, used or recycled books, diapers made from cloth and so on. These gifts could be wrapped in cloth or baby blankets or old paper which could be made use of at a later stage and then sent for recycling.You can use
- You can use a waste material in your house to decorate for the showers. More so, Renewable Sources could be put to good use here. Keep the decorations to the minimal and as neutral as possible to gel with the environment. Balloons are a strict no– no! They are at risk of being swallowed by children attending the showers. Other materials of use such as tablecloths and mats etc. should be made of linen which could be washed and dry-cleaned and used again.Use Organic Food to serve for the guest. Try to cater only those delicacies that could be served at the room temperature. This would conserve a lot of energy. Do not use disposal plates and spoons,
- Use Organic Food to serve for the guest. Try to cater only those delicacies that could be served at the room temperature. This would conserve a lot of energy. Do not use disposal plates and spoons, instead, use actual crockery. Get the food prepared from only those fruits and vegetables that have been grown free from pesticides. In case, you intend to hire a planner, ensure that he specializes in green events.Post showers, ensure that your house is cleaned with only those substances that are
- Post showers, ensure that your house is cleaned with only those substances that are non-toxic and biodegradable in nature. The leftovers in terms of food etc. could be sent back with the guests.
- Above all, it is important for your baby to grow in a clean, green and a healthy environment. Thus, along with green baby showers, indulge in some shopping for organic clothing as well as toys for your child. After all, your safe practices would lead to a better and a happier tomorrow for your offspring.
Greener Pregnancy: Healthier Lifestyle
You are at one of the most important junctures of your life! With a life growing inside, you have a greater responsibility to cater to and so, it’s not about you anymore. It is that phase of your life where in it is of high importance to adopt a healthy lifestyle, if not for yourself, then for the baby in you. Here are a few tips that could help make a start:
- Eating Right is the most important of all aspects. Whatever you eat or do not eat is going to affect the foetus. It is not about you anymore. You are feeding and nourishing your baby as well. Your food should be free from all forms of pesticides and insecticides. Try and consume organic food as far as possible. It has to be realized that the nourishment provided to the child during the prenatal period forms the basis of the child’s immune system. It is best to consult a nutritionist for this purpose who can guide you appropriately on the same.
- In case you have the habit of drinking; you have to see to it that you Stop Consuming Alcohol or any other forms of drinks that contain carbon dioxide and other toxins. Consumption of alcohol may result in Foetal Alcohol Syndrome. This should be done the moment it is confirmed that you are pregnant. Make sure that the water you drink is distilled and free from any form of chemicals.
- Your surroundings have to be Clean and Environmental Friendly. Ensure that the environment you live and work in are green and do not contribute to pollution. A green environment provides for fresh and natural air, thus generating oxygen. Irritants such as dust and smoke should be avoided at all costs. Above all, you cannot be exposed to any form of toxins.
- Non – Renewable Sources such as plastics and other chemicals should be dealt with caution. Do not store food in plastic containers; instead use glass utensils or those made from ceramics without the use of Lead in it. Also, use the polythene plastic wraps instead of Poly Vinyl Chloride. All the food cans that have a white lining should be avoided since it has Bisphenol – A in it.
- Definitely, not the last point but the least you could do is the Use of Eco – Friendly and Bio Degradable Substances in your daily chores. You can start shopping for commodities that are organic in nature such as clothing, food and other groceries. You can also try out homemade innovations such as lemon, baking soda and vinegar and so on for cleaning purposes.
Apart from the above, you can also have green baby showers, shopping for organic clothing for your baby and other accessories etc.
Above all, it has to be remembered that for the foetus to arrive in the world as a new born infant, it is the mother who has to take care of herself first. So, adopt green pregnancy to have a happy pregnancy and a healthy lifestyle.
Free Giveaways and Contests